Join The Monthly Call For Life: Passion for Abortion?

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Passion for Abortion?

People often say to me things like "you have such a passion for the abortion issue". Much of the time this is not what I want to hear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that people acknowledge the countless hours I spend working on the many Pro-Life projects, but "passion" is not exactly the word I would use.

I think I would use something like determination to end abortion. I don't know if it's the word "passion" or something else that bothers me. When people say "it's what you do" or "it's what you're interested in, not me" or things like that I have a simple response. I say I would rather be in the Bahamas snorkeling right now.

Let's look at all the meanings of the word at Dictionary.com

# A powerful emotion, such as love, joy, hatred, or anger.
# 1. Ardent love.
2. Strong sexual desire; lust.
3. The object of such love or desire.

# 1. Boundless enthusiasm: His skills as a player don't quite match his passion for the game.
2. The object of such enthusiasm: Soccer is her passion.

# An abandoned display of emotion, especially of anger: He's been known to fly into a passion without warning.
# Passion

1. The sufferings of Jesus in the period following the Last Supper and including the Crucifixion, as related in the New Testament.
2. A narrative, musical setting, or pictorial representation of Jesus' sufferings.

I think when people are using the word passion they are thinking of "boundless enthusiasm". I don't think of it that way though. To me abortion is something that God put in front of me and said "Here, I want you to help me with this", and to add a bit more "you have a responsibility to help others when you see wrongdoing". I accept God's task for me willingly and put everything I can into it in order to help save his children who die at a rate of 4,000 a day in the United States alone.

Boundless enthusiasm? Probably more in the direction of "The sufferings of Jesus", though not even close obviously.

When people say to me "that's what you do, it's your passion", I wonder why they aren't doing whatever they can to help end abortion. Why do so many people leave this to others? How can so many people say "abortion is horrible" and "abortion is murder" and then not do a single thing to help end it?

That must be it. I think it bothers me because I'm wondering why they don't have that same "passion" to end abortion.

Thank God for the Internet. I know you got a chuckle out of that. No, I mean it. The Internet was where I saw that there are millions of others out there like me. I'm not by myself, just a freak of nature walking around babbling that abortion is wrong and we must end it. There are plenty of other Pro-Lifers out there babbling with me. :)

The annual March for Life at http://www.marchforlife.org also helped me learn that I'm not alone. Hundreds of thousands of us gather in D.C. every year on January 22nd, the anniversary of Roe vs Wade and we all have the same goal, end abortion. The exact date of the march changes so if you are going to come make sure you go to the web site for information. This coming January it will be held on the 23rd.

Realizing that there were millions of us Pro-Lifers out there was what inspired the MarchTogether.com project. Our goal is to unite those who know abortion is wrong and to help us speak up as one once a month. Our voices will get louder and louder as people join together in our common goal of ending abortion.

I also believe Christian walls will come down at the same time, because we are Christians first. I think the "we are Christians first" concept has been lost for hundreds of years as 10s of thousands of churches have popped up around the world, each proclaiming to be the "true" church.

We need Pro-Life unity. We need Christian unity. Let's forget about our differences and concentrate on our commonalities. All of us in all of our churches want to help bring people to Jesus right? It's a good place to start.

Unite with us at MarchTogether.com and help end abortion through our Pro-Life unity. Encourage others to join every month on the first Friday of the month.

United we stand - Divided they die

Pass it on
Technorati Profile